Monday 11 November 2013

Dark Souls - Part 1

I'm Simply...Crestfallen

Well, I knew this would happen eventually when I started this challenge, but I may have completely forgotten to actually take screeenshots for the blog...my bad! I play Dark Souls with the controller (because I'm not a maniac) and sit on my sofa, which means the 'Print Screen' button is forgotten about, so I'll skip having photos in this entry.

My history with Dark Souls is...troubled. I adore the game, I would probably say it's one of the best games of this generation. However, I've never played past one of the first bosses because he kept kicking my ass. Instead, I got my kicks by watching playthroughs, listening to discussions, and losing my shit over people speedrunning the game in less than an hour.

This time feels different though. For once, I feel like I could walk into the boss that keeps killing me and murder his demon ass fairly easily. And it's made me sit down and wonder why I feel differently this time and I could only give one answer: I'm not relying on skill anymore.

As I mentioned before, people make Dark Souls artificially hard for themselves by trying to dodge every attack and make it through on the bare minimum, stats and equipment-wise. I was the same, but some simple research made me realise that there is little advantage to doing that. So I tried this new tactic and found myself breezing through the game as far, even killing a boss I had never encountered before by taking a route I stumbled upon to find it. Enemies that were one-shoting me in previous playthroughs weren't even breaking my guard on this new, tank-focused, character. 

I'll go into detail about why I feel Dark Souls is one of the best games of the generation in a future update, but for now, I'm ready to fight this bloody goat demon and finally kill the bastard!

No comments:

Post a Comment